As featured on KC Live!
- 1 Chicken (standard 8 cut or deboned & cubed)
- 1 lb. Andouille sausage
- 2 Onions, medium dice
- 3 Celery stalks, medium dice
- 2 Bell Peppers, medium dice
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 3 qt Stock (chicken or pork)
- 6 oz. clarified butter (or oil)
- 6 oz. Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Gumbo File
- In a large saucepan over low heat cook the flour in the oil to make a dark roux, it should be the color of milk chocolate (about 30 min).
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery and cook until softened.
- Add herbs and garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add stock a little at a time, stirring until smooth before adding more.
- Add chicken and andouille and simmer until the chicken is cooks (about 10 min).
- Season to taste with S&P, serve over rice and dust with file powder.
Note: Local chicken, housemade andouille sausage from local pork, housemade stock & gumbo file are all available in The Sundry’s Market.